Groundwater resources play a significant and vital role in Australia’s mineral and exploration industry. WSA has extensive experience in hydrogeology and groundwater resource evaluation and has built a firm reputation within the mining and exploration sector. In addition, WSA also provides services to a range of clients where environmental and regulatory affairs are the principal driver.
Our groundwater team is led by Paul Smith who is the Director and Principal Consultant of WSA. Paul is very experienced in all facets of groundwater.
We can undertake work in Brisbane, regional Queensland and Northern New South Wales.
Groundwater Resource and Hydrogeological investigations typically combine a number of facets from within the discipline, these include:
- Groundwater resource evaluation and quality assessment
- Strategic Design and Supervision of exploratory drilling programs
- Interpretation and determination of groundwater body hydraulics
- Numerical, Analytical and Conceptualised Hydrogeological Modelling
- Investigation & Remediation of contaminated groundwater
- Geological mapping and aquifer delineation, description and quality determination
- Production well /groundwater/environmental monitoring bore design
- Environmental groundwater monitoring scheme development
- Geophysical investigations
- Groundwater licensing and groundwater compliance
- Groundwater feasibility studies
- Groundwater interception systems
- Groundwater litigation support & Groundwater Expert Witness testimony
Examples of previous hydrogeological projects that have been completed by WSA include:
- WSA undertook the identification and design of production bores to supply groundwater to a coalmine on the Darling Downs. The project incorporated an assessment of multiple aquifers, including those associated with the Great Artesian Basin sequence. WSA conducts routine sampling of the monitoring bores and produces annual reports, as well as conducting biannual reviews of a numerical model of one of the aquifers associated with the project.
- WSA conducted a groundwater investigation for a major feedlot development located in south-west Queensland. Works undertaken included short term and long term pumping tests to determine the sustainable yield of a major aquifer in the region. Geophysical surveys were also conducted to identify the location of an overlying secondary aquifer. Further investigations focused on the environmental impact of the development upon the local groundwater resources and the impact of additional groundwater subtraction upon other users in the region.
We also undertake groundwater modelling, groundwater monitoring, groundwater sampling, water quality, water testing, groundwater testing, underground water monitoring, leachate treatment, landfill leachate treatment.